Thursday, January 12, 2012

Indian Lentil Soup

I have been looking for a good recipe with lentils for a while.  I have never cooked with them, but have had lentil soup a number of times.  So, when I came across this recipe I had to give it a try...and it was delicious!  I changed quite a bit of the original recipe to fit the spices I had on hand.

You will need:

1 1/2 C lentils, rinsed
3 C vegetable broth
3 C water
1 small onion, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1/2 tsp garam masala (I found this in the ethnic aisle at Whole Foods)
1 tsp mild curry
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp curry masala (also at Whole Foods)
1/4 tsp ground ginger (can use 1" piece of grated fresh ginger)
1/4 plain nonfat yogurt  (optional)
Salt to taste

In a medium stock pot, heat oil and add onions.  Cook until tender, about 4-5 minutes.  Add all the spices and stir for a few seconds.  Add the lentils and stir to coat.  Add the broth and stir to combine.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 10-15 until the broth is absorbed.  Add the water, bring back to a boil, cover, and simmer.  Cook until the lentils are tender.  Stir in yogurt and salt to taste.  I chose to puree my soup with an immersion blender, but this is optional.   You can serve with more yogurt on top if desired.





No comments:

Post a Comment