Thursday, January 19, 2012

Granola

One of my (and, therefore, my family's) new years resolutions is to try and eat vegan as much as possible.  So far, it hasn't been so hard.  I am finding that the majority of my favorite recipes can easily be converted to vegan with just a few small substitutions.  One of those recipes is for granola.  My mother-in-law gave me this recipe years ago, and I have made it several times.  The only item to be aware of is the chocolate chips, which you can find vegan versions in almost any store.

You will need:

7 C old fashioned oats
3 C whole wheat flour
11/2 C dark brown sugar (not packed)
1 tbsp salt
1 C chopped walnuts
1 C raw sunflower seeds
1 C wheat germ
1 1/2 C water
1/2 C oil (or substitute 1/2 C unsweetened apple sauce)
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Mix all ingredients until well combined.  Spread mixture onto a non-stick baking sheet (or coat with cooking spray or oil).  Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and reduce heat to 225 F.  Break granola into pieces and return to oven.  Cook for 1 1/2 hours more (or until dried out), stirring every 30-45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment