Sunday, September 9, 2012

Vegan Crepes

I was watching a show on Food Network last night, and they were making crepes.  I love crepes, but didn't think I could figure out a way to make them vegan.  The show inspired me to try...and I'm glad I did.  They were every bit as good as traditional crepes!  Be sure to use a nonstick pan lightly coated with cooking spray to prevent sticking.  You will need:

For the crepe batter:

1 C all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 1/2 C non-dairy milk (I used Silk Vanilla Almond Milk)

Place all ingredients into a blender and mix on high until all lumps are gone.  Preheat your pan on medium low.  Pour some batter into the center of the pan.  Then, swirl around to form a thin pancake.  Once it has cooked through to the top, gently tease up the edges with a spatula and flip.  Allow to cook for an additional 1 1/2 to 2 minutes until lightly browned.

For the crepe filling:

1 container Tofutti brand cream cheese
1/2-3/4 C powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender and mix until smooth.  Add more or less sugar to taste.  Spoon into the center of the crepe, spread around leaving a nice border, and roll like you would a burrito.  Top the crepe with some fresh or frozen fruit.  I used frozen mixed berries.  I also topped with a little chocolate sauce...so yummy!



No comments:

Post a Comment