Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Southwestern Bruschetta

I had a loaf of spicy black bean bread from Costco that I needed to use up.  It was already a bit too dry to eat on its own, so I decided to toast it.  Well, toasted bread is just calling out for a topping.  So, I came up with this alternative to Italian bruschetta.  The bread itself had quite a kick, but if using ordinary bread I would recommend tossing in some minced jalapeno or habanero for heat.

2 tomatoes, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small avocado, diced
juice from 1/2 lime
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
salt to taste


Mix the above ingredients together and allow to chill for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, lightly brush olive oil on 7-8 slices of bread and sprinkle with salt.  Toast under a broiler until golden brown.  Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes.  Place the tomato mixture on top and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment