Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Meatless Meatloaf

Whenever I tell someone that I am making a meatless meatloaf, I am not usually met with "mmmm, that sounds good."  But, you have to take my word for it - it really is!  I have tried a dozen "meat"loaf recipes over the years, and was nearly convinced that a tasty one was impossible.  Then, I stumbled across a recipe that really works.  The original recipe does call for meat.  But, with a few substitutions, I have come up with something that everyone in my family gobbles up!  For this meal, I paired the meatless loaf with roasted vegetables - also a crowd pleaser.  Even the kids devour it!

For the "meat" loaf, you will need:

16 oz  of veggie burger (I use Worthington/Loma Linda brand in the can)
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 eggs
3 tbsp skim milk
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
6 oz low fat feta cheese, crumbled
2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 heaping tbsp jarred garlic)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 F.  Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.  Mix all ingredients together and transfer to loaf pan. 

Put in oven for 45 minutes.  Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.

To go with this meal, I made roasted vegetables.  I chose carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, and red creamer potatoes.  Peel the carrots, parsnips, and sweet potatoes and chop so that they are all about the same size.  Scrub the red potatoes.  Leave the skins on and keep them whole.  Rinse all the vegetables.
 
I chose to roast the sweet potatoes, parsnips, and carrots together, and the red potatoes separate so that I could season them differently.  But you can put them all in one large dish if you want.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  I placed a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary on the red potatoes to add more flavor.

You will want to roast them at 375 F for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  After the vegetables have been cooking for 1 hour, add the meatloaf and cook for 45 minutes.  You may need to cook an additional 15 minutes if the vegetables are soft and/or the loaf isn't browned.  After removing the potatoes, you can squeeze half a lemon over them for additional flavor.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment