Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Veggie Fajitas

I have made fajitas a number of times, but have always used prepackaged spices.  Then it occurred to me that making my own combination of spices would be easy and tastier.  So, I gave it a try and this is what I came up with:

For the fajita seasoning:

1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (more if you like the heat)
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder


For the fajitas:

2-3 bell peppers (I like red, orange, and yellow), sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 poblano pepper, stem and seeds removed, and sliced
8-10 baby portobello mushrooms, quartered
Fresh corn tortillas, warmed

For topping the fajitas:
1 tomato, diced
Cilantro, chopped
Avocado or guacamole

In a saute pan, add the cooked peppers, mushrooms, and onion.  Add 1/2 cup water and 2-3 tbsp of the fajita seasoning.  Stir and cook over medium-low heat until the sauce just starts to thicken.  Place the vegetable combination in the tortillas and top with tomatoes, sour cream, and/or guacamole.  You can use a variety of other vegetables as well, including yellow squash and zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment